Just 13 km from Aurangabad, we can see a massive hill fortress, the Daulatabad fort. This impressive fortress, once known as 'Devgiri', the hill of the Gods was built in the 12th century by Bhillama, the king of the Yadav dynasty. It was named Daulatabad, the city of fortune, by Mohammed Bin Tughlaq, Sultan of Delhi. A 5 km massive wall, artificial scarping, spiked gates, dungeons and a variety of complicated defence systems made it almost invincible and was over powered only through bribery. A magnificent 60 mt high tower of victory, known as the Chand Mahal was added in 1435.
Higher up is the blue-tiled Chini Mahal where the last king of Golconda was imprisoned for 13 years until his death. On the top is a huge 6 m cannon cast in five metals with Aurangzeb's name inscribed on it.